Total Pageviews

Wednesday 12 May 2010

Bertie Update.

Bertie is a complete sweetheart. When I lost my old pony, Ben, I never thought I'd find another pony as sweet natured and kind as he was. Despite having been very nervous when I bought him he grew to love everyone and was such a happy pony. Bertie reminds me more and more of him and I can't look at him without smiling. He has the kindest eye I've ever seen and wouldn't hurt a fly.

He was very nervous and difficult to catch but he's first at the gate now and pushes his nose into the headcollar. I could have got to this stage without clicker training but it's taken days instead of months using it and Bertie has already decided he likes being with me because he has fun and gets to use his brain.

He is a beautiful, kind, co-operative pony and I am very lucky to have him. At just 6yo he has his whole life in front of him and I paid £400 pounds for him.

David would have loved him as much as he did Ben. I wish he could have met him.

When the strangles is over I must find homes for Kate and Crystal as they are wasted with me. Next year at the latest I need to find homes for the three young Fells, who will then be 3yos, but I don't think I could bear to part with Bertie. Russell is in his twenties and retired now so five horses, only four of which need work, isn't too many, is it?

Please tell me what you think.



Here he is learning to be a family pony, tied to the washing line post and chilling out next to the pigs.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan to me. As for working four horses; I have four and rarely get to actually work them. There are days you could have only one and never touch him! Just make sure it is time you enjoy. When it becomes a chore and a burden, it is time to re-think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I somehow got lucky enough to end up with a horse ... er pony, sorry, like Bertie I wouldn't give him up for anything! He sounds so awesome! You guys sound like a perfect match. I've had four horses at one time before though and it can be a bit much at times, but you never know until you try. :) Anything you do with him until that time is just a bonus for him. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete












Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a clicker training addict and there is no cure - thank goodness!!!